Missouri Southern Center for Advanced Professional Studies (MOSO CAPS)
The Missouri Southern Center for Advanced Professional Studies (MOSO CAPS) is a nationally recognized, innovative high school program located on the campus of Missouri Southern State University. Students fast forward into their future and are fully immersed in a professional culture, solving real world problems, using industry standard tools and are mentored by actual employers, all while receiving high school and college credit. MOSO CAPS is an example of how business, secondary education, and higher education can partner to produce personalized learning experiences that educate the workforce of tomorrow, especially in high skill, high demand jobs.
Check out our MOSO CAPS video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUFMrN9-0Jg
Students have three options for areas of concentration:
- Health Sciences: The Health Sciences Strand provides students the opportunity to learn by solving real-world problems, with real tools, mentored by industry professionals. Our guest speakers and mentors represent the wide spectrum of healthcare careers (ie. Radiology, Respiratory Therapy, Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Pharmacology, and Veterinary Science).
- Human Services: The Human Services Strand provides an innovative approach to education for students with a passion for the human services industry, including pathways of law, public safety, law enforcement, social work, psychology or teaching. The courses are designed to give students hands-on, real-world experience as they engage in profession-based learning. Through regular interactions with academic and industry experts, students will begin their journey in becoming members of the human services community.
- Business, Marketing, & Entrepreneurship: The Business, Marketing, & Entrepreneurship Strand provides students the opportunity to work on partner-driven projects and solving business problems while learning general business and marketing concepts with an entrepreneurial focus. Engineering and Computer Information Science opportunities are also included in this strand. The courses are designed to provide students with a foundation in the content as they engage in profession-based learning. Through regular interactions with academic and industry experts, students will begin their journey in becoming members of the business community.
MOSO CAPS provides students the opportunity to deeply explore professional areas of interest through a profession-based, inquiry learning method. MOSO CAPS is driven by the changing workforce needs of industry, therefore, MOSO CAPS strand coordinators and business partners collaborate to provide a meaningful and relevant experience in the field for each student associate. MOSO CAPS curriculum is dynamic, constantly evolving to follow industry trends and market changes using a copyrighted rapid prototyping curriculum development process. (four-block, full-year, four-credit practical art course for grades 11-12)
Students interested in the MOSO CAPS program must:
- have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and be on track to graduate
- attain Junior or Senior status
- desire to work in a profession-based, real-world environment with other area high school students
- be willing to comply with business ethics (e.g. attendance) and dress codes determined by the MOSO CAPS strand
- be willing to spend 2 blocks each day away from high school
- be able to provide own transportation to MOSO CAPS and business partner sites
- COVID Vaccine is required for all students who have a Mercy rotation.
Apply here for the MOCAPS program.