Welcome to the Science Department
Please click on the course titles on the left-hand side for detailed course information.
Freshmen are required to take either
- Physical Science, or
- Chemistry (if passed Algebra I in 8th grade)
All sophomores are required to take
- Chemistry (must have passed Algebra I), or
- Earth & Space Science/Environmental Science, or
- Biology or Dual Credit Biology 101 (those who took chemistry as freshmen), or
- Chemistry AND Biology/DC Biology 101 (those who plan to take upper-level sciences in 11th and 12th grades)
ALL STUDENTS MUST BE ENROLLED IN A SCIENCE COURSE IN GRADES 9-11. ANY EXCEPTIONS MUST BE APPROVED.Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics (STEM) courses are also available at Carl Junction High School. To help prepare all students for the global workforce, the College Board and Project Lead The Way (PLTW) have partnered on a program to encourage student participation in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) courses and build their interest in STEM degrees and careers. The program leverages the success of the College Board’s Advanced Placement Program (AP) and Project Lead The Way’s applied learning programs.
The program has three elements:
- College and career pathways that connect AP and PLTW courses
- Recognition for students who participate in the pathways, and recognition for schools
- A portfolio of career-focused opportunities for students
Each pathway emphasizes applied learning and consists of three components:
To learn more about the pathways and recognitions, click here.
PLTW specialization courses that focus on knowledge and skills needed for rewarding careers
- PLTW courses designed to introduce all students to the field
- AP courses and exams that provide an opportunity for advanced placement and/or college credit
Science Department Flowchart
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.